Wednesday, December 3, 2008

The Freedom To Say What You Want

I think censorship is ridiculous because the first amendment allows the freedom of speech. Freedom of speech means people can say whatever they want just like anyone else can and have their own ideas. If someone doesn't like what someone has to say then don't listen. If someone doesn't like a book, song, poem, story, etc. then don't pay attention to it. Yes, everyone can have their opinion about things, and not everyones going to have the same opinion and that's okay. Having an opinion is a great thing because not everyone in the world gets that and that's what makes America so diverse.
Bringing someone down about their opinion or burning someones book in a furnance is not cool or right because that their right to freedom of speech. If someone doesn't like a book for example then don't read it, it's that simple! Don't take it away from students or other people in the community just because someone disagrees with. Yes, someone has every write to say if they don't like something and that's fine just don't ruin it for other people. And don't be over the top about it.
I think at times people take freedom of speech for granted and a lot of things are being censored. But I think that people should be able to speeck their minds without someone trying to stop them or censor them from their opinion or ideas.

5 comments:

I'm not lost in the world. I'm just taking a detour. said...

I agree with you. The first amendment does give us the right to freedom of speach. But at the same time we are getting censored by who? Our parents teachers or should we call them our equals.c

Katie B. said...

I agree with you. At first, I was a little torn because there is some stuff you would't want little kids hearing or seeing, buts that's the parents responsibility. In hte end, I decided that censorship is wrong (also because of the 1st Amendment) no matter who you are trying to protect.

Nicole H. said...

I completely agree with you. Censorship does go against the consitution and it it the first amendment also. I think that parents should censore somethings when your young, but that's about it.

Jimmy said...

Yellow text makes my eyes hurt =[

Natalie H said...

I agree with you that people should be able to say what they want, but I also think that some censorship is necessary. If saw some of the horrible things going on in the world at a young age I would probably be different than I am now.